THE STRONG EXPERIMENT

Friday, March 13, 2009

What do you do with lentils?

We have been working on increasing our one year food supply. One of the biggest issues I have are proteins. Proteins in food storage mainly consist of beans, and lots of them. I know you can put beans in soups and use them for Mexican dishes. But I really have only ever used kidney and black beans. So, what do I do with all those other beans besides soups?

Nathan got me a bag of lentils at the store the other day so we could experiment and see if we like them. Especially since they have about 15 grams of fiber and 13 grams of protein per 1/4 cup serving. (Wow!) I went onto my new favorite recipe website http://www.allrecipes.com/ and typed in lentils in the "ingredients I want" section and found a recipe with chicken and lentils. It sounded good and easy to make so I cooked it up. I surprised at how much I like it. We put it over spagehetti and I was surprised at how much I like it.

So next time you want to do something with lentils, try this recipe out. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-and-Lentils/Detail.aspx?prop31=10