With the freeze coming this weekend, we went out tonight and pulled off all our ripe tomatoes, chilis, peppers, and pumpkins. I will probably can the tomatoes. When I first planted my garden this spring I had every intention of making salsa, but I don't know if I have the energy to do it. Has anyone done salsa before, do you have a good recipe? And any idea what I should do with all the green tomatoes I have left? I mean I have a ton, and I hate to see them go to waste. I've heard of a "mock" raspberry jam you can do with jello and crushed green tomatoes, anyone tried?
We still have the apples on the tree and the grapes on the vine. Haven't decided what to do with the apples. We think the tree grows yellow golden delicous apples, but sometimes they are more green and sometimes they have red in them. Last year I made apple butter. It was okay, but not a big hit. I probably won't do it again. Unless I still have some apples that aren't quite ripe I probably shouldn't make pie filling because I don't think they are tart enough, and we don't really do applesauce. Maybe I should try applesauce anyway, maybe its time we tried, plus it probably keeps well once it is bottled.
I only got little decorative like pumpkins this year. I don't even think they would have seeds if I cut them open. I wonder if they are hollow like a big pumpkin. Has anyone ever done anything with little pumpkins before? Can I use the inside of a pumpkin to make pie filling just like a big hollow pumpkin? Any suggestions what I should do with the 10+ I pulled off the vine. Should I just use them to decorate, which was my original plan?
I consider my self still a beginner when it comes to canning. I am good with peaches and pears. But that is about all, so if you have any ideas, I would love to hear from you. If you have an over abundance of ideas you can email me at deadeley@hotmail.com.
Happy Fall!
Thursday, October 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I made tomato sauce a couple nights ago. I have another 5 gallons to process. If you want to come over tomorrow afternoon, we can make it a saucing party. I like to freeze it in quart bags, because I'm waaaaay too lazy to process it for 90 minutes in a water bath.
I haven't gotten up the ambition to do applesauce with your apples. But if you're interested in a good how-to, go to my friend's blog www.savoryseasonings.blogspot.com for instructions.
You have to can pumpkin in a pressure canner. I think it is more worth it to buy pumpkin, it is a huge pain. You have to bake or boil it and then puree it then strain it through a fine mesh strainer! And that is all before you process it!
I wish I could have some of your grapes and apples.
Post a Comment