THE STRONG EXPERIMENT

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sunflower Market

There is a new grocery store/market in the area. It is called Sunflower Market. It is like a natural/whole foods store but it isn't all organic, and they have really good prices. It is located out in Murray across the street from Fashion Place Mall for those who live in the area. From what I have read there are several Sunflower Markets in several states and they claim to get really good prices by buying in bulk and locally. The other neat thing is that their ads go from Wednesday to Wednesday. Which means if you go there on a Wednesday you get the sale prices for the past week and the current week. And because I am on this healthy kick, I wanted to check it out.

I took the kids and loaded them into the cart, knowing that the more room they took up the less I would be able to buy. It was quite busy, but not too busy that you couldn't push your cart in the store without people getting in the way. I was really surprised that their produce and meats looked really good. If I hadn't of just bought fruit last weekend, I would have bought some, but I already have fruit going bad in the refrigerator. They had peaches on sale for 50 cents a pound, and sweet white corn 6 for $1. Fresh green beans were only a little over a dollar (I don't remember the exact price.) They also had all the other things that a grocery store had but in fewer number since it was either suppose to be healthy (i.e. no hydrogenated oils, corn syrup etc.) or organic. The prices weren't even that bad. You can even buy things in bulk. Granola, flour, rice, nuts, dried fruit and soup.

The market is less than 10 miles out of the way which makes it a little inconvienent for me to go there often. But I will probably go there occassionally to get my fruit, especially if it is on sale!

3 comments:

Cristine said...

Thanks for the tip. I will have to check it out even though I have no plans to give up my hydrogenated fats and high fructose corn syrup.

Heatherbelle said...

We need something like that around here! You wouldn't think so but the cost of groceries is ridiculous out here in the Midwest. Milk is $4 a gallon. And the farmer's markets cater to the elite and they are 3 times as much as you would pay in the grocery store! It is ridiculous!

Nurse Heidi said...

My friend was just telling me about this very store! She raved about it. I'll have to go check it out, though it is rather out of the way.