THE STRONG EXPERIMENT

Saturday, February 21, 2009

My new favorite recipe

I have been looking for a while for a recipe for whole wheat rolls ever since we got a wheat grinder a few months back. We got a KitchenAid grinder and we have loved it. Fresh ground wheat makes really good scones, and is good in chocolate chip cookies too. But I haven't found a recipe I liked that was 100% whole wheat until last week. Finally on Thursday I was able to make it, and it was SO delicous and only took about an hour to make. So, for those of you who like whole wheat like me, try this recipe, you will LOVE it. At least I did. Note: This recipe uses vital wheat gluten to make them raise better since whole wheat doesn't raise as well and tends to be more dense. I got this recipe at http://bepracticaltoday.blogspot.com/search/label/Bread

Whole Wheat Rolls

(I halved the recipe and it still made about 2 dozen rolls.)

Mix and rest 15 min:
3 1/2 cups warm water
3/4 c sucanat or 1/2 c honey (I used honey)
1 cup Olive oil
6 Tb Yeast

Then add:
1 Tb salt
10 1/2 c whole wheat flour (I used 1/2 hard white and 1/2 hard red wheat)
3 eggs (or energy egg replacer or 3 Tb ground flax mixed with 3/4 cup water)(I used flax because it was easier to halve and it turned out just fine.)
3 Tb vital wheat gluten or you can use Dough Enhancer

Knead for about 5 minutes. Shape into rolls, cover and let rise until double (30min-1 hour). Bake 425' for 10-12 minutes.

2 comments:

Cristine said...

Can I buy a wheat grinder that attaches to my kitchen aid? Is that what you were talking about? If so, will you let me know where you got it? thanks

Nathan said...

Mmmm, these cookies are awesome!

I think we got the grinder on Sears.com because there doesn't seem to be a store that has them in stock. It works like a champ, is really easy to clean, and takes up very little cupboard space.