THE STRONG EXPERIMENT

Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Great Debate

How cold is too cold for you when it comes to the temperature of your home? Well, on more than one occassion, this has been Nathan and our debate. Especially about the temperature at night. I can't sleep with it the least bit hot and he doesn't like it cold. Last night we had one of these little disagreements. I have the air conditioner set to go down to 70 degrees at 10:00pm, and then starting at 8:00 it goes up to 73 degrees where it stays all day. At this point of the year, I don't even have the air on until night time. I don't care if it gets to 75 degrees in the house during the day. Unfortunately, we found out that Nathan is quite allergic to many pollens and so I can't just have the windows open during the day like I would like to. Especially when it is cooler outside than it is inside. So, when Nathan was getting into bed and realized the air conditioner was on and was feeling cold we had a little disagreement. He didn't want the air on, and I wasn't going to be sleeping with it at 73 degrees especially since he has the humidifier on for his nose. So, Nathan being the good husband that he is just grabbed another blanket and put on a winter hat. But I don't think that 70 degrees is that cold and it makes me feel bad that he has to sleep with an extra blanket and hat on. (Especially since the lat 3 months of my pregnancy I kept the night time temperature at 64 degrees due to the extra heater I had residing inside me.)

So, after my little explanation and rant, how cold is too cold? How cold do you keep your house at night?

6 comments:

The Fullmers Four said...

You guys sound just like our house, only opposite. I hate it cold (maybe it is a Strong thing), and Tom, hates it Hot. So how Tom always wins the war, and we keep the house at 65. But then that could also be because it is so blasted expensive to heat this old house.

Nurse Heidi said...

We keep our heat set at 72, and AC at 76. Every now and then, if I feel totally oppressed by the heat, I'll temporarily nudge it to 75. We haven't turned the AC on yet this year - I have a philosophical opposition to turning it on before it hits 80 degrees outside :).

The Petterssons said...

We sleep with the air set at 70 degrees all year and it's really not that big of a problem, to me. Unless you want to change it up every now and then and your mother doesn't want you to!

Melyssa said...

We wouldn't survive with out open windows during spring and fall time! I love the cold at night too- especially when i'm huge with another little heater inside. :) We keep the AC on in the summer at 72 at night. We all sleep better when it's not so blasted hot! I think good sleep is worth more than the bills- especailly with kids!! Just make Nate use more blankets- tell him you want the cold so you can snuggle with him at night! ha ha

Cristine said...

We NEVER turn on the air before June 1st no matter how hot it gets. Good luck in finding a comfortable temp. :)

buffy & chad said...

HA HA... TELL NATE HE SHOULD FEEL LUCKY HE DOESNT SHARE A HOUSE WITH HIS LITTLE SISTER ANYMORE... I USED TO RUN THE SWAMP COOLER ALL FREAKING NIGHT IN THE OLD HOME. I HAVE TO BE COLD TO SLEEP. BUT I LUCKED OUT CAUSE CHAD DOES TOO... TELL NATE 64 IS PERFECT!!! MAYBE I SHOULD GET HIM A SNUGGLY FOR HIS BIRTHDAY... YOU KNOW THAT BLANKET WITH SLEEVES... :)