Many of you have been asking about Jonathan's birth story and how it went. I've been debating what to say and how detailed I should make it. I will try and keep it short because most people don't like to read long blogs, so here is my go at it.
I labored from about 10pm to 7:07am, January 21 when Jonathan came into the world. It was an emotionally and physically exhausting labor because I had received no rest and was going natural. All of my energy was directed at trying to breathe and relax through my contractions. Nathan tells me I did well, and I was pretty proud of myself in regards to being able to breathe through them. But there were many times when Nathan would tell me I was doing awesome and I would reply "I don't feel awesome." The nurse we had even came up to my room that next day to tell me what a good job I did.
I found myself not wanting to use the techniques I learned in my hypnobirthing classes once I was in full blown labor. I just didn't want to do anything but breathe, rock and sit on my birth ball. Looking back I should have been more willing to listen to my relaxing music and use the hypnosis scripts. I was able to fully relax through some contractions while Nathan was reading me a script but the constant interruptions from staff made it very hard for me. This is something that I will be better at next time.
The hardest part was at the end. Once I got to 9cm, I didn't want to be in labor anymore. And by this time I had thought about asking for an epidural many times, but I wasn't going to let myself give up. My doctor came in and broke my water. After my cervix was pushed out of the way (it hadn't completely cleared, but I was done) I pushed for about 5 minutes. The delivery was the part I was not prepared for. If you had asked me that day if I would do it again, I would have told you "NO WAY!" It was definetly not something I can say I have every felt before.
So, would I have a natural childbirth again. Probably. (I really liked not being hooked up to IV's and being bound to a bed.) But next time I will be more prepared and less stubborn. I really believe in what Hypnobirthing teaches, I just didn't use the techniques that I learned very well.
Friday, January 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I'm glad you made it through, Jen! Can't wait to see you and the new little Strong boy!
Way to go! I had our baby natural too. All my friends thought I was crazy, but I loved it. I swear I read every Natural Birthing Method before hand, HypnoBirth, Bradley, Birthing From Within. It was helpful having so much to draw on in the middle of labor.
I ended up laboring in a birthing tub (I would highly recommend that), and then when they said it was time to get out and push, I said "No way." So Owen was a born via Water Birth.
Sounds kinda similar to my hypnobirthing experience. We didn't use a single script during my labor, but I do think it gave me more general relaxation techniques than I would have had otheriwise. The part after your water is broken is the toughest and most intense - akin to feeling like your body is being pulled inside out. That, I have never gotten used to, even after 4 kids.
Good for you for doing it and doing it well, even if it wasn't exactly how you thought it would be!
Even if you didn't use all the techniques, you still went natural and saw it through till the end! Way to go Jen. I'm afraid I get less and less brave with every birth. It sounds like you'll have another chance to use your hypno-birth techniques. Till then you can enjoy your THREE little ones!
Good for you! I'm proud to have an awesome friend who made it through naturally.
Good Job Jen! I am proud of you for being determined. I look up to you for that because I fully plan to have an epideral. He is darling and I am glad that it went well!
Post a Comment