In the last month or so I have recently found a new author that I have really enjoyed. Her name is Shannon Hale. She writes fairy tales. Mostly, they are rewritten Brothers Grimm fairy tales for youth.The first one that I read was recommended to me by several of my friends. Goose Girl was a very fun and nice read. Nice in that it was exciting but not overly dramatic and didn't make me cry or feel like I just couldn't put it down and read it all day. I highly recommend it. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. The reason I didn't give it 5 was because I wasn't that surprised at the end, and would have liked to be. It is also a Newberry Award Winner.
And because I like to stick with an author when I find a book I like, I read several others of hers. A Book of A Thousand Days was another rewritten Brothers Grimm tale that I had never heard of. And Princess Academy which was her own fairy tale (I believe). Princess Academy is also a Beehive Award Winner. I really liked them both. Although out of all 3 of them, I would say that I like Princess Academy the most. The reason being that I had no idea how it was going to end. And even then, I would have liked a little more closure at the end, but it was still a really good read. I would recommend any of her books.
I am looking forward to reading Enna Burning which is the second book after Goose Girl.
And while I am on the topic of favorite books, I thought I would talk about my boys' current favorite books. I have always found it interesting that my boys go through stages where all they want to do is read a certain book all day. When we find a book at the library that they love, we usually end up buying it online at www.half.com for about .75 cents plus shipping and handling. So, a couple of months ago I found a book called, I Know A Rhino, by Charles Fuge. It is a really simple and cute book with really fun animated pictures with a little girl playing with all her animal friends. Tyler, especially, loves this book. And of course it came in the mail a few weeks ago, and we still read it at nap time and bed time.
Daniel's current favorite is Peter Rabbit. I have had this book ever since I took a children's literature class in college. I would have never guessed that I would have a child who would actually enjoy this book. I don't think it's that great. Plus, it was written and first published in 1902. But, it is a classic, and it's Daniel's new favorite. So, at nap time and bed time, we read Peter Rabitt, and I Know A Rhino.
Anyone else have a new favorite?
4 comments:
Glad you like Shannon Hale! The only one of hers that I didn't like was Austenland, which is her most recent. It's a departure from her usual genre and it was just kinda meh. We read it for book club, and that's about how everyone felt about it. I think Princess Academy should be required reading for all adolescent girls - it has such a great message.
Loved, loved "The Goose Girl." I would like to read more by Shannon Hale, however, I am currently reading "Breaking Dawn" and having trouble getting through it because I don't like it. Recently, we received a book called "The Seven Silly Eaters" A story about a large family of very picky eaters and how their mother tries painfully to please them all. It is a great read aloud story. My kids love it:)
Try out any Don and Audrey Wood book. King Bidgood's in the Bathtub, The Little Mouse and the Red Ripe Strawberry, Edward's Bad Word, The Napping House- these are always a hit!
And I've read all the Twilight series- and you were right. I am on the waiting list for Goose Girl- thanks for the review!
Hey Jen! I don't know if you'll remember me, but we were in Alpha together. I saw a link to your blog on Steph's blog (I hope you don't mind). Just wanted to say hi and thanks for the "The Goose Girl" recommendation!
~Areli
Post a Comment