THE STRONG EXPERIMENT

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

My Weed Garden

At the beginning of the spring, I started preparing my vegetable garden. I finally finished it about a month or so ago, and it was beautiful. Tomatoes, peppers, carrots, potatoes, strawberries, raspberries, cantaloupe, onions, peas and pumpkins. But because of my all day nausea and my extreme fatigue I have found it very hard to be motivated to go out and weed it, and give it the tender loving care that it deserves. Now, I'm not sure if I have a weed garden, or a vegetable garden. This weekend, I went out and took a close look at my garden. My strawberry bed that was free of weeds 2 weeks ago, was covered. There wasn't even any visible dirt. Now, I find it very overwhelming to want to do much about it. But my wonderful husband got up this morning and started pulling the weeds before he went to work. Isn't he amazing? So, he got me motivated to start. Because something has to be done. I love my garden, I love the vegetables, and I love the feeling of accomplishment that I have when my garden produces beautiful things, I just hate all the weeds. I can deal with a few weeds, I actually enjoy pulling a few.


This is my garden. In far back against the fence are the raspberries intermingled with tall weeds and a tree that I can't seem to get rid of. On the far left is a cantaloupe that you can't see and in front of that are the potatoes. (The plants are really tall.) In the front left corner are my carrots and next to that is a cucumber plant. In the middle are tomatoes and peppers. In the back right are red onions.

This is what my garden looked like this morning after I started weeding.

This is the far side of my garden where my strawberries are suppose to be. You can see where I started weeding compared to the areas where I haven't. And the pumpkins are starting to take over. They need to be moved or pulled, I haven't decided which yet.

This is an area where we grow weeds really well. I thought it was a great picture. Have you ever seen such a tall weed. It must be atleast 4 feet tall. We would like to put a cement pad back here. Right now, we don't use it for anything. Just to grow weeds and store the canoe.


3 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

Ugh. : P. I'm having the same problem. Since Alan's got a bad back this year, all the yard work is falling on my shoulders. I had an impeccably weed free garden two weeks ago and now it looks like I've never even touched it.

Cristine said...

If it makes you feel any better, take a look at the flower beds in my front yard. I'm sure that after being gone for so long, there isn't a stitch of dirt left. I am dreading returning to Utah next week:(

Danielle said...

I give you total props for planting a garden - that is hard work!