Its been about 2 months since I last posted. For some reason I just don't seem to have as much time as I use to. Or maybe it's just that I spend it poorly on other things. When I try to figure it out, I just can't seem to make sense of where it all went. And here it is already May. The last few months just seem to be a blurr.
We had a few weeks with some awesome spring weather. We loved it. Then came the week with freezing temperatures, rain and snow. But before that came, we accomplished a lot outside. The garden is prepared and is currently growing brocolli, lettuce, spinach, carrots, potatoes, and onions. With some stray garlic that sprouted from the ones that died last year. We pulled out our three quaking aspen trees from the front yard because two were dead and we figured the third wasn't far behind. We also tore out the rail road ties that formed the flower bed in the front yard and replaced them with a castle wall to match the otherside of the driveway. Then we hauled in some topsoil to help level off the backyard where it was destroyed from last years remodel. We used the remaing to build up the garden beds. Then I planted some more flowers. I still have more to do with the flower beds in the front, and I am awaiting some lilacs and aster in the mail that I got for a super deal online.
We had a few weeks with some awesome spring weather. We loved it. Then came the week with freezing temperatures, rain and snow. But before that came, we accomplished a lot outside. The garden is prepared and is currently growing brocolli, lettuce, spinach, carrots, potatoes, and onions. With some stray garlic that sprouted from the ones that died last year. We pulled out our three quaking aspen trees from the front yard because two were dead and we figured the third wasn't far behind. We also tore out the rail road ties that formed the flower bed in the front yard and replaced them with a castle wall to match the otherside of the driveway. Then we hauled in some topsoil to help level off the backyard where it was destroyed from last years remodel. We used the remaing to build up the garden beds. Then I planted some more flowers. I still have more to do with the flower beds in the front, and I am awaiting some lilacs and aster in the mail that I got for a super deal online.
Playing in the "castle".
We also found time to go fishing one morning. It was an awesome fishing day. We went the day after they filled up the pond, so there were a ton of trout just waiting for us. We caught seven. They were really good!
We've also been trying to figure out why Nathan hasn't been feeling well for the past 6 months-year, and believe that he is allergic or has an intolerance to wheat/gluten. We are also currently trying to decide if he is intolerant to potatoes. We have been using a potato flour in some recipes and potato flour is made from the entire potato, skins and all. The skins have a high amount of a certain chemical that can cause problems in those who are intolerant. So, its been a bit of a challenge and has been some what frusturating for me because I feel that I am suppose to take care of him and make sure that he is well, and when he isn't, then I feel to blame. Hopefully, we will figure this all out soon. Meanwhile, I am actually having a good time learning to cook with new flours I would otherwise not use.
A few weeks ago we also attend Nathan's grandparents 60th wedding anniversary. It was really fun to see all of Nathan's cousins and to visit. Nathan has amazing grandparents. The kids love to go to "Cookie Grandma's" house to visit and play with all the old fisher price little people toys in the basement. They call her "Cookie Grandma" because she has two/three tupperwares full of cookies that just sit on the dryer in the back of the house. Nathan remembers as a kid they each getting a small sandwich bag to fill up with cookies before they left. Its fun that his grandparents still carry on that tradition.
I have learned many things from his grandparents. One being that I don't need a big fancy house or lots of money to be happy. Nathan's dad has 6 siblings. They grew up in small home by Liberty Park with three small bedrooms. The two girls shared one room and all 5 boys shared the other with one double bunk and a trip bunk bed. They had one dresser between them with just enough clothes to get them by. The house still doesn't have a shower, just a tub. Whenever I feel like my house is too small or I don't have enough storage, I just remind myself that if Grandma and Grandpa can do it. So can I. Maybe I just need to get rid of more of my junk.
I only hope that Nathan and I will still be together in 53 years, so that we can celebrate our 60th wedding anniversary.
Life is crazy, but its mine and I love it!
4 comments:
i admire his grandparents, and I've never even met them! that's the one thing I struggle with in this world is wanting what I don't have and comparing my situation to others. Instead I need to look at what I have and just be grateful! we really don't need much in this world.
Your yard looks great! You could come do mine next...
you can tell nathan that yellowstone has some of the best fishing on earth. . . that might convince him.
Jen, I don't think that grandma has ever gotten rid of anything. . . Somehow she has managed to store EVERYTHING! it is that amazing four foot tall basement they have! The other day Sammy, Josh and Sarah's little boy, had a potty accident at grandma's so she went and got a pair of underpants and pants from when she baby sat Audrey 25 years ago. . . She has every reciept from gas and notes on where they stopped and for how long for every trip they ever took. . . organization is the key. . . and I don't know how anyone could ever master the degree of organization that Grandma Strong has! WOW! but you are right, there is lots to learn from the two of them. It was great seeing you at the party, we need to get together sometime.
Post a Comment